The Goldring Center for Culinary Medicine is the rst dedicated teaching kitchen implemented at a medical school. The center provides hands-on training for both medical students and community members to prevent and manage obesity and associated diseases by incorporating healthy cooking into their every day lives. Here’s TU the next 300 for the place we call home!Learn More
Established in 2006, Tulane’s Center for Public Service unites academics and action with classrooms and communities. Since the center’s founding, Tulanians have contributed 2.3 million hours to community engagement initiatives in New Orleans and around the world. Here’s TU the next 300 for the place we call home!Learn More
Tulanians don't stand down, they stand out. Alumnus Dan Grandal is making his engineering mark with the design of the Permanenet Canal Closures and Pumps at the edge of Lake Pontchartrain. The project helps reduce flood risk to New Orleans communities and is part of a larger effort to save Louisisana's coast. Here's TU the next 300 for the place we call home!Learn More
Green Wave football has been weaved into the fabric of New Orleans since 1893. Tulane Stadium brought together generations of Tulanians to celebrate some of the most iconic moments in school history. After a 38-year stint in the Superdome, the boys are back Uptown in Yulman Stadium and ready for Homecoming. Here's to the next 300 years for the place we call home. Roll Wave!Learn More
Tulane has called New Orleans home since 1834. Together, we have created a community that’s unlike anywhere else in the world. Tulanians are resilient, just like our home town. We are at the forefront of groundbreaking research, logging thousands of community service hours and dedicated to preserving the history and culture of our great city. Celebrating the 300th anniversary of New Orleans is not just about marking where we’ve been, but seeing where we will go together. Here’s TU the next 300 for the city we call home!
Among the many wonderful collections housed at Tulane is the Louisiana Research Collection. This is New Orleans’ most comprehensive collection archives, with almost four linear miles of documents from the founding of the city to the present.
Tulane University was founded in New Orleans in 1834 as the Medical College of Louisiana. It was established to train doctors to fight the epidemics of cholera and yellow fever plaguing the city. The Tulane visions for public health, medicine, research, and public service to our city continue as we celebrate the New Orleans Tricentennial.
Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine is the oldest school of public health in the country, and was also home to the first female dean for a school of public health, Grace Goldsmith.
CACTUS, the Community Action Council for Tulane University students, was established in 1968. As Tulane’s oldest and largest community service organization, CACTUS facilitates all service projects and organizations on campus in addition to sponsoring campus-wide service events.
Tulane Alumnus John Kennedy Toole won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1981 for his posthumously published novel, A Confederacy of Dunces. The Louisiana Research Collection in Jones Hall has a collection of Toole’s personal and literary papers.
Clara Gregory Baer, physical education teacher at Newcomb College, authored the first book of rules for women’s basketball under the name “Basquette.” Baer also invented the game “Newcomb,” akin to volleyball, and was a leader for greater freedom for women in sports and dress.
President Gerald R. Ford announced the end of the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War during a speech given in the Central Building (now Avron B. Fogelman Arena in the Devlin Fieldhouse) at Tulane on April 23, 1975
McAlister Auditorium, which contains the world’s largest self-suspended concrete dome, was built in 1940 by local architects Favrot and Reed. Amelie McAlister Upshur bequeathed the Art Deco building as a memorial to her mother.
The New Orleans Saints played their first home football game in front of 80,879 fans in Tulane Stadium on September 17, 1967. Tulane Stadium went on to hold three of the first nine Super Bowls (1970, 1972, 1975).